Sunday, September 25, 2011

Lucy Becomes a YouTube-er

So over the past couple of weeks my friends and I have been working on a project; a youtube channel. It's our creative attempt at keeping our lives connected while we are all off on our separate college adventures. As someone who has only a basic knowledge of technological stuff it has been a great learning experience. I am not used to expressing myself verbally, and talking to a camera lens all alone in your bedroom is not normal behavior.
 It is quite an odd thing really, all this putting yourself out on the internet. A friend recently described it as "shouting at the air" which is a pretty accurate description. Obviously our channel does not have a huge audience, but that is not the point; it is helping us record our lives, forcing us to think back and recollect on moments that are probably some of the most important learning experiences we will ever have.
Personally, I am enjoying it as a way to share my new life here with all my friends and family back home. Right now London and Lexington feel like two different worlds, but somehow a couple minutes of me rambling to a screen seems to connect them in an odd way. It has also forced me to carry my camera around and use it, which is not something I do normally. Now I have loads of footage of me just wandering around, 95% of which I don't even use. It is nice to have parts of my life stored away on my computer in a form that is somehow more concrete than memory. It will be interesting to look back on these videos in a couple years time and see how much as changed...or how much is exactly the same.
If you are interested in hearing us ramble then check out thisisnothogwarts on youtube!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews