So far I have mostly been sticking to the "posh bits" of London, not because I am a snob, but because that is where I live and what is closest! (But I'm not going to lie, it's nice being able to walk around at night not fearing for your life). But yesterday I ventured a little further East for a day out at the Camden markets. It was fabulous; just as much pink hair and piercings as I expected but also a great deal of life and excitement. As it was a Saturday morning the place was packed with tourists as well as the actual Camden-ites. Most of the street vendors take advantage of this, selling tacky London merchandise at decent prices. But just venture a little further from the station into the legendary underground stables and you will find a world that is completely unlike anything I have found in London so far.
It smells of street food, sweat, and cigarettes and there are people of all shapes and sizes shopping for things they never knew they needed. The highlight for me was found deep underground in a little corner of the market which seems to think we never left the 1940's; the Andrews sisters were blaring, the ceilings were full of sparkly costumes, the shelves were stacked with dusty old suitcases that have probably seen more of the world than I have, and crazy old women seemed disappointed that you actually wanted to buy parts of their collection. Of course I came home with way more than I should have, including a fantastic pair of green sunglasses which my friend said made me look like Twiggy (how could I not buy them!).
We immediately regretted having made dinner plans earlier in the day because the food smelled heavenly. Somehow the fact that you don't know where it has been is more appealing than repulsive in Camden. I had a vegetable samosa that could not have hit the spot more. I had to stop myself from buying a green cupcake or a waffle covered in chocolate for the sake of my wallet. In any case I would highly suggest Camden markets to anyone, even those who wouldn't see it as their type of place as it might very well open your eyes. My only advice would be to bring plenty of cash...but keep a hold of your purse!
Great post Twiggy! Wish I could go for a walk with you there :)
ReplyDelete