Friday, July 22, 2011

Much Ado About Quite A Lot

So can I just begin with the fact that I love David Tennant, even more than I did before.  As you can probably guess, the show last night was just fantastic and no one can really stop talking about it even twenty-four hours later. First of all a night of  any Shakespeare is bound to be exciting, but throw in some fantastic actors,  a spinning stage,  and some skimpy 80's style costumes and its just magical. Catherine Tate brought a lot of  laughs (especially while spinning around on the ceiling) but I was surprised to find that David Tennant surpassed her in comedic as well as Shakespearean ability. From his entrance on a union jack covered golf cart to the rather ridiculous but very enjoyable dancing finale he was spot on...and  may I say he looks quite fabulous in a denim mini skirt and lace leggings. Even my mum who is not a fan girl keeps going on and on about how great it was.
After the show we ran around to the stage door, but from our seats in the second  balcony we were a little too  late to make it to the front of the barriers holding back all the fans. But Alex pushed her way to the middle of the crowd and  held out both of our programs for autographs, which we got from both stars. They were so nice and calm, even in the middle of all that craziness. I didn't see either of them turn down a request for an autograph or picture. I felt very awkward standing there because in  a way I felt bad for them (which is of course ridiculous as they are both very successful actors with great careers), it is such a strange way to treat people that you admire; sticking cameras in their faces and pens in their hands. I am sure they expect it and at this point it doesn't freak them out anymore, but it still made me feel uncomfortable...although I am very glad to have their autographs so that pretty much makes me a hypocrite.
This morning, still  running on a David Tennant  high, we drove to Oxford (my aunt and uncle's alma mater) for some punting to celebrate the first sunny day of the week. It was quite hard work but so much fun, even though I was pretty useless. No one fell in but we all came pretty close, particularly when we encountered a traffic jam of clueless, noisy Italians who were just pushing their punts around in the water with one hand, cigarette in the other, and yelling at each other. It was both incredibly frustrating and highly entertaining, especially when Erica had to flatten herself  down on to the stern of the boat to avoid being decapitated by some branches hanging over the river. My mum said it was like something out of a Mr. Bean sketch and everyone was crying with laughter. After all that hard work we went for lunch at a Lebanese restaurant and devoured about a dozen delicious dishes between us.
It was such a lovely day to finish off the most amazing holiday of my life, but I am still in no way ready to go home. Of course I don't really have time to be sad about it because I am only in Lexington for less than twenty-four hours before catching yet another airplane to Chicago (where I seem to spend quite a lot of time now a days) for Ballet Chicago's Advanced Intensive which lasts two weeks. I am excited to get back in to dancing but I still cannot bare the thought that this is all coming to an end. It has been such a learning experience...as well as good old plain fun! It is nice to know I only have a month or so before I will be back in England, I know I just belong here even though I love and miss everyone back home. 
Thank you so much to everyone who has been keeping up with me here, it means a lot to know that people want to read what I write and  I hope you will stick with me because there are lots more adventures to come!
And thank you of course to Alex, the world's best traveling companion, love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews