Saturday, July 30, 2011

So I am half way through my Chicago exploits; can't believe I've only been back in the country for a week! Europe seems so far away here, even though I am becoming ever more fond of the windy city. The dancing is getting easier as I slowly drag myself back into shape, but my efforts keep being interrupted by stupid little things that have forced me to sit out of two classes already, which I hate. Today especially, when a stupid thing like an infected blister on my toe prompted the teacher to tell me to sit out for the majority of the day. It sounds so ridiculous when written down, but the little thing made it impossible to put on my pointe shoes because its all horrible and swollen. I hate sitting out of class, it makes me feel so useless and sort of lonely, so I was extremely frustrated that something so insignificant stuck me on the sidelines. Plus I feel like everyone is judging me as I seem to have gained a reputation as the girl with all the problems. I know they probably have better things to worry about but I would hate to think that anyone thinks I am wimping out or exaggerating anything. I am also not too excited to spend my one free day going to the doctor to make sure its not anything too serious, but I am hoping to get some meds to get it healed up quickly so I can get back into class and forget about this whole mess.
As a nice distraction I went to the movies with Katie this evening to see Friends With Benefits. If you are looking for a nice escapist chick flick its a pretty pleasant watch. Mila Kunas and Justin Timberlake are obviously quite charismatic actors and they manage keep the whole thing from being overly cheesy. I enjoyed it much more than I expected actually. I love going to the movies; even cringe worthy films are more enjoyable in a cinema. It did hit me though, while watching the previews before the movie, that there don't seem to be very many strong women in films this year. Every single movie advertised that featured a girl had them either scantily dressed and vapid or frightened and in need of rescue. I know this is a pretty well known issue but honestly I had never noticed it for myself before. Even in the preview for Footloose Julian Hough's character seems to do little more than jump all over the male lead and throw temper tantrums. Argh its so frustrating! Of course there are lots of strong, girl power films out there, but they seem to be few and far between this summer.
As a final thought; if you are ever in Chicago go to Garret's Popcorn! Its divine and worth every single gram of fat that I am sure it is full of. yummmmmmmmmmmmmm

1 comment:

Total Pageviews